21/09/2011

The Skin I Live In - could it be a masterpiece?

Last week I went to the Curzon cinema in London's Soho area. Whilst a week or so before going there to see the film 'Kill List' by chance, this time I had chosen to go there specifically for Almodovar's 'The Skin I Live In.'

This is a review to an extent, however I will not reveal the most significant elements of the film. I will however tell you what it does to your mind, and why you should go see it.




My expectations were met, as the reviews praising Almodovar's newest work were quite accurate, and the film was, something in the region of spectacular.

"A brilliant plastic surgeon, haunted by past tragedies, creates a type of synthetic skin that withstands any kind of damage. His guinea pig: a mysterious and volatile woman who holds the key to his obsession." - IMDb

There is sex, there are drugs, and there is definately no end to surprises.

The plot was twisted and unbelievable, with the story starting slowly with Vera (Elena Anaya), seen by the viewer as a patient or victim of cosmetic surgeon Dr. Robert Ledgard (Antonio Banderas). Around this we learn that Robert's wife had burnt to death in an accident, and that Vera has a strong resemblance to her. However, Vera is not an ordinary patient, but as said in the IMDb review, a test subject for the new and stronger, burn resistant artificial skin that Robert is trying to perfect.

From this point onwards, the story travelled backwards in time, and revealed a chain of events that would produce gasps from the audience accompanied by the odd few viewers looking to their side in disbelief. The film skipped from new to old sequences to introduce new characters, and to further the plot, and by this, furthering our insight into the crazed mindset of Robert. The events in the film make you change who you sympathise with, seeing a victim first in Robert and then in Vera.

The twists in the plot, brought in by the changes in time are simply incredible. Your mind will be in overdrive with curiosity throughout the film, with every narrative choice made by Almadovar, drawing you deeper into the film.

If you have any interest in film, or even life, you should see 'The Skin I Live In." I also recommend seeing it at Curzon, with delicious baked goods, and a beer in your hand. YES, I SAID IT - you can bring a beer into the cinema.


Links:


2 comments:

  1. I like the way in which you discussed your experience with the movie. It seems quite interesting and for a person like me that doesn't like to watch movies, I must say is quite encouraging. It would be quite useful to add a few links at the end as refrences to get more information about the movie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The movie seems very interesting and different compared to any I have seen until now. Although Im not a fan of thriller movies I wouldnt mind watching it again. Can you please add any other information about other movies?

    ReplyDelete